Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Chevron and on and on...

The Chevron Scarf
Pattern in Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Yarn: One skein Koigu (blues/browns), one skein of some other fun bronzey yarn (lost the label!)
Needles: straight US5

Loving this:


Too bad it's a gift, I want to keep it for myself! Oh well, will have to make another...

On a completely unrelated note, I have decided that I need to start running. Running is a good thing - it's free, it gets you outside, my husband does it. Only one problem: I hate running. But I've vowed to force myself at least until I can run five miles. In a row. Without stopping.

I started today. I did a bunch of research here and here to find the best way for a non-runner to start running and even ordered a book or two. Here's what I know so far: boy, am I not good at it. How can you be bad at running, you ask? Well, I can't really tell you, you'd have to come watch for yourself. I suck major wind and get all blotchy in the face, really, it's quite attractive. If you see a redheaded lump on the side of the road dry-heaving into the bushes, please, send water and an oxygen tank.

Today's "run" (and I use that term looooosely):

  • 5 minutes of warm-up and stretching
  • 20 minutes of intermittent running, walking and limping at certain points
  • 5 minutes of sprinting for home at the end just to see if I could indeed sprint for 5 minutes. OK, so really it was about 2 minutes of sprinting, two of slowing down almost enough to be loping along and the last minute trying not to puke before I hit the front door.

All in all, a good day. Have to start somewhere, right?

No comments: